Thursday 4 May 2017

A couple of film reviews...

Last Saturday night, TradverVic and I went to the movies with some friends to see a Danish film, Land of Mine.



I have mixed feelings about the film. it was certainly riveting and very well-directed and acted (it has won awards and was nominated for an Oscar) but it was harrowing to watch.

The film is inspired by real events and tells the story of a group of very young (they looked to be fifteen or sixteen years of age) German POWs sent to clear mines in Denmark after World War II

It is believed that more than 2,000 German soldiers were forced to remove mines, and nearly half of them lost their lives or limbs. Many of them were only teenagers, as depicted by the boys in the movie.

But, as I said it was harrowing to watch these poor young men, far from home, risking life and limb to defuse the landmines, knowing that one of them could/would be blown up any second - and, of course, it did happen again and again in the most heartbreaking way.

There is an excellent review of the film here, if you would like to read it.
However, in a way, I am glad that I did see it - it is a story that deserves to be told as it underlines, yet again, the futility of war.

On a happier note, the week before I went to see Beauty and the Beast with my Dear Sister2 and my niece.



It was very lovely and we did so enjoy our girls day out but it's a funny thing, I think that Land of Mine was a far better movie and I would probably choose that over Beauty and the Beast.

Have a great day, everyone, 

hugs, 



4 comments:

Barb said...

That movie sounds like some of the books I have read about WW2. We need to know these things if for no other reason than to keep them from happening again.

Vickie said...

I agree with Barb completely. I had no idea about this in Denmark. I have written the author's name down who wrote the book that inspired the movie. Thank you for the movie review link.

Julie said...

Sounds like a movie DH would like, he's a real fan when it comes to learning about war times.

Margaret said...

I keep wondering if Beauty and the Beast is very popular more because of all those who grew up with the cartoon version. We're terrible at going to the cinema so I haven't seen anything!

Secret Stitching Sweetheart Blog Hop.....

  Hello my lovelies and Happy Valentine's Day....   ... and this means it is time again for the fabulous Valentine's Day Blog hop o...